To our Urban Plates Community
We are all grappling with a rapidly changing world as a result of the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic. We firmly believe food is a powerful healing tool and our mission is to make wholesome food accessible to all. With ongoing guidance from the CDC and local public health authorities, we continue to make changes to ensure we operate with one principle in mind: the health, wellness, and safety of our guests and employees.
Complying with strict guidelines from the CDC and local public health authorities, we have reopened dine-in operations in all of our Southern and Northern California restaurant locations.
We’re open for business and focused on:
- DINE IN: Our Southern California dining rooms and outdoor patios are open for dine-in. Our Northern California locations are open for outdoor patio dining.
- EXPRESS PICK UP: Order at urbanplates.com, pay online, and pick up the food at the shelves near the entrance.
- DELIVERY: Order delivery through our delivery partners: Postmates, DoorDash or UberEats.
- NO-CONTACT CURBSIDE PICK UP: Order and pay online, park near the entrance of the restaurant, call us, and we’ll bring the food out to your car.
- CATERING: Call 1-800-652-4788 to reach an Urban Plates catering consultant. All food can be individually wrapped at no charge.
Be well, and we will be in touch if anything changes.
Saad Nadhir & John Zagara
Co-Founders, Urban Plates
Is the virus transmitted by food?
Experts do not believe COVID-19 is spread through food. The virus is primarily spread through close contact person to person, or by coming into contact with a contaminated surface/object and then touching your face (eyes, mouth, nose).
What is Urban Plates doing to protect against the spread of Coronavirus/COVID-19?
As a standard practice at Urban Plates, we adhere to strict cleanliness protocols that are verified by an independent third party (UL’s Everclean). In the spirit of caution, we have further implemented additional safety enhancements to minimize the risk of exposure within our restaurants.
What safety standards are always practiced at every Urban Plates restaurant?
- Restaurants are fully cleaned daily with hospital-grade disinfectant and commonly touched surfaces (including tables, doors, menus, and chairs) are cleaned repeatedly throughout the day.
- Employees and managers are trained and certified in safety and food sanitation standards, which includes proper hand-washing, hygiene practices, and wearing gloves when handling food.
- We have open kitchens so you can see who and how your meal is prepared.
- All restaurants are regularly audited for cleanliness by an independent third-party auditor called Everclean that has rigorous standards.
- Employees that are not feeling well are instructed to stay home.
- The frequency of restaurant cleaning has been increased.
- Employees are provided with face masks and gloves to aid in proper hygiene.
- Restaurant interiors have been reconfigured to designate proper social distancing.
- All dine-in tables have been properly spaced 6+ feet apart.
- Tables are fully sanitized between each use.
- Plexiglass partitions have been added at our registers.
- We have placed floor markers six feet apart to ensure guests are social distancing.
- Hand sanitizing stations are provided at all of our locations open for dine-in.
- All to-go containers and bags are individually safety sealed for added protection.
- All employees have been retrained in the importance of and adherence to proper handwashing.
- We monitor the health of all team members.
- All employees have been provided the information needed to stay vigilant and healthy.
- We continue to monitor the situation very carefully, staying in close communication with federal, state, and local authorities, health organizations, and other experts so that we can be proactive and adapt our operating practices to best ensure your safety.
I noticed that I order at the register vs. at the individual stations now. Why is this different?
We changed our service model from walking the line and ordering at the individual stations to ordering at the register. The food is now brought to your table by one of our Team Members to help maximize guest safety.
What if someone is concerned about visiting a restaurant?
If you are concerned about visiting the restaurant, you have the option to order online at urbanplates.com, pay online, and then pick up your order from the shelves near the entrance of the restaurant or have the order walked out to your car, OR order Urban Plates to be delivered through DoorDash, UberEats or Postmates.
Are you allowing guests to eat in your dining room?
Our Southern California dining rooms and outdoor patios are open for dine-in. Our Northern California locations are open for outdoor patio dining. Until further notice, our Washington D.C. Urban Plates locations remain closed for the time being.
For the latest updates from the CDC, please visit coronavirus.gov